Fully Featured Website Hosting!!!
While no major appearance changes were seen on Cadillacs this year, a number of refinements were apparent.
- The grille was redesigned with wider spaces between the blades
- the parking lamps were repositioned directly below the headlights.
- On the sides of the body the rub-rail moldings formed a right angle with the vertical trim on the rear doors
fenders of Series 62 and 60S models.
- This accentuated a character line in the sheetmetal.
- The Florentine curve rear window treatment was adopted for sedans.
- Three chrome moldings bordered the rear license plate on either side and deck lid decorations consisted of a
V-shaped ornament and a Cadillac crest
- The Coupe DeVille had a golden script nameplate at the upper body belt just forward of the rear window
- The Eldorado sport convertible featured extras such as
- wide chrome body belt moldings
- a distinctive rear fender design with twin round taillights halfway up the fenders and flatter, pointed
- Tubeless tires were a new feature throughout the line.
Cadillac horsepower seemed to climb right along with sales. For 1955 it
reached 250 standard
via higher compression (9.0:1) and improved manifolding; Eldorado now
boasted 270 bhp
courtesy of dual four-barrel carburetors, optional for other models.
- Serial numbers and engine numbers were the same again
- They were found in the same locations as previous year.
- The first two symbols were "55" to designate 1955 model production.
- The next two symbols indicated the series as follows:
- "62" = Series 62 and Eldorado
- "60" = Series Special Fleetwood
- "75" = Series 75 Fleetwood
- The remaining digits represented the consecutive unit number and began at 00000 for each series.
- All series had the same ending number, which would be misinterpreted if listed.
|Model Number||Body Style||Doors||Model||Seating||Factory
Price||Shipping Weight||Production Total|
- The export sedan was shipped in CKD form to foreign countries.
- The symbol X in brackets after Body Style Number indicates hydraulic window lifts optional;
- without brackets indicates this feature standard.
- V-8: Overhead valves
- Cast iron block
- Displacement: 331 cubic inches
- Bore and stroke: 3.81 x 3.63 inches
- Compression ratio: 9.0:1
- Brake horsepower: 250 @ 4600 rpm
- Five main bearings
- Hydraulic valve lifters
- Carburetors: Carter WCFB four-barre], Models 2355S, 2354S, 2185S, 2186S, 2266S, 2267S, and 2255 - also
Rochester 4GC four-barrel, (Less air conditioning) Model 7007970; (With air conditioning) Model 7007971.
|Feature||Series 62 Sedan||Other Series 62|
|Wheelbase||129 inches||129 inches|
|Overall Length||216.3 inches||223.2 inches|
|Front Tread||60 inches||60 inches|
|Rear Tread||63.1 inches||63.1 inches|
|Tires||8.00 x 15||8.00 x 15|
|Exhausts||Standard dual exhausts|
|Standard Rear axle ratio||3.36:1|
|Optional Rear axle ratio||3.07:1|
- The 270 horsepower Eldorado engine was available as an optional "Power Package" in other models for
- Radio and antenna ($132)
- Heating and ventilation system ($129)
- Power brakes ($48)
- Four-way adjustable power seat ($70)
- Vertically adjustable power seat ($54)
- Power windows ($1O8)
- Air conditioning ($620)
- White sidewall tires
- E-Z-Eye safety glass
- Autronic Eye automatic headlamp dimmer
- Other standard GM options and accessories available
- Motor Trend magazine reported fuel consumption figures of 12.9 miles per gallon (stop-and-go) for a
sedan with the standard 250 horsepower V-8.
- Total 1955 output for all models reached 140,777 units, a new record high for Cadillac Division.
May 12/00; March 8/03
Fully Featured Website Hosting!!!