Fully Featured Website Hosting!!!
|1978 CADILLAC ELDORADO
While waiting one more year for an all-new downsized body, Eldorado received no major change other than a
revised crosshatch grille dominated by heavier horizontal bars. Also noteworthy on the outside was the padded
Elk grain vinyl top. The four-row peaked checkerboard grille was flanked by quad rectangular headlamps. Amber
parking lamps sat low on the bumper. The grille pattern was repeated between license plate and bumper guards,
below the protruding protective strip. Massive chrome vertical bumper ends extended upward to form housings
for auxiliary lamps, forming a huge bright extension of fender tips. Eldorado block letters stood above the upper
grille bar, which tapered outward above the headlamps.
Standard engine was the 425 cu. in. (7.0-liter) V-8, available with carburetor or fuel injection. Eldorados had
What else? How about
- four-wheel disc brakes
- front-wheel drive
- electronic level control
- automatic climate control
- power windows and door locks
- cornering lights
- six-way power seat
- three-speed wipers
- Freedom battery
- lamp monitors.
Interiors might be Halifax knit in four colors, Random velour in choice of three, or a dozen Sierra Grain leather
combinations. Dramatic two-tones were also available on Dual Comfort front seats, in three color combinations.
- a trip odometer
- wide-whitewall steel-belted radial tires
- Soft-Ray tinted glass
- accent striping
- remote control left-hand mirror
- color-keyed litter container
- vanity mirror
- bumper impact strips
- a stowaway spare tire.
Eldorado Biarritz, which first appeared during the 1976 model year, now sported a convertible-like padded vinyl
top, unique scripts, accent stripes, and distinctive chrome body moldings. Inside the Custom Biarritz were Sierra
Grain leather contoured pillow-style seats in antique medium saddle, white, dark carmine, antique yellow, or
antique light blue. The Cabriolet roof accented Eldo's distinctively-shaped quarter windows that tapered
downward at the front, with a vinyl-insert molding across the fully padded Elk Grain vinyl top. Black-accented
brushed stainless steel belt moldings stretched from rear to hood, terminating in a spearlike design at the front.
Special stripes accented front fenders, doors, and rear quarter panels. Biarritz came in five colors: Mediterranean
Blue Firemist, Cotillion White, Carmine Red, Colonial Yellow, and Ruidoso Saddle. All had opera lamps,
remote-control passenger-side mirror, and color-coordinated wheel discs. Customers also had the choice of a
Custom Biarritz Classic, with two-tone paint scheme that not everyone found attractive.
- a 40-channel CB
- 8-track tape player
- sun roof.
|Model Number||Style Number||Body Type||Seating||Factory
Price||Shipping Weight||Production Total|
|Feature||Base engine||Optional fuel injected engine||Optional diesel
|Type||90-degree, overhead valve V-8. Cast iron block
|Displacement||425 cu. in. (7.0 liters)||350 cu. in. (5.7 liters)|
|Bore & stroke||4.082x 4.06 in.||4.057 x 3.385 in.|
|Brake horsepower||180 @ 4000 rpm||195 @ 3800 rpm||120 @ 3600
|Torque||320 lbs.-ft. @ 2000 rpm||320 @ 2400 rpm||220 lbs.-ft. @ 1600
|Fuel supply||4 Bbl. carburetor||electronic fuel injection||Electronic fuel
- Wheelbase: 126.3"
- Overall length: 224.0"
- Height: 54.2"
- Width: 79.8"
- Front Tread: 63.7"
- Rear Tread: 63.6"
- Standard Tires: LR78 x 15-B
- Transmission: Turbo Hydra-matic transmission standard on all models; column shift.
- Gear ratios: (1st) 2.48:1: (2nd) 1.48:1; (3rd) 1.00:1; (Rev) 2.07:1.
- Standard axle ratio: 2.73:1 except high-alt. 3.07:1.
- Spiral bevel rear axle
- Steering: variable-ratio, power assisted
- Front suspension: upper/lower control arms, torsion bars
- Rear suspension: four-link drive, coil springs
- Brakes: four-wheel disc.
- HEI electronic ignition.
- Fuel tank: 27 gal.
- Heavy-duty cooling system ($41)
- 80-amp alternator ($51)
- Engine block heater ($20)
- California emission equipment ($75)
- High altitude pkg. ($33)
- Eldorado Cabriolet ($484)
- Eldorado Cabriolet w/Astroroof ($1565)
- Eldorado Cabriolet w/sunroof ($1365)
- Eldorado Custom Biarritz ($1865); w/Astroroof ($2946); w/sunroof ($2746)
- Eldorado Custom Biarritz Classic ($2466); w/Astroroof ($3547); w/sunroof ($3347)
- Astroroof w/full vinyl roof ($995)
- Astroroof (painted) ($1106)
- Sunroof w/full vinyl roof ($795)
- Sunroof (painted roof) ($906)
- Cruise control ($122)
- Controlled-cycle wipers ($32)
- Rear defogger, grid-type ($94)
- Six-way Dual Comfort power passenger seat adjuster $118-$150)
- Power 50/50 seat recliner ($116)
- Power 50/50 passenger seat recliner ($210-$262)
- Tilt/telescope steering wheel ($121)
- Automatic door locks ($114)
- Illuminated entry system ($59)
- Fuel monitor ($29)
- Theft deterrent system ($130)
- Trunk lid release and power pull-down ($80)
- Twilight Sentinel ($54)
- Guidematic headiamp control ($62)
- Trumpet horn ($21)
- Remote-control right mirror ($34)
- Lighted thermometer on left mirror ($27)
- Lighted vanity mirror, passenger ($50)
- AM/FM stereo radio with digital display; ($106)
- AM/FM stereo radio with digital display w/tape player ($106)
- AM/FM stereo radio with digital display w/CB ($281)
- AM/FM stereo radio with digital display w/tape and CB ($427)
- Firemist paint ($163)
- Door edge guards ($ll-$18)
- License frame: each ($9)
- Dual Comfort 50/50 front seats ($198)
- Leather seating area w/two-tone and 50/50 dual comfort front seats ($556)
- Carpeted rubber front floor mats ($31-$34); rear ($15-$21)
- Trunk mat ($12)
- Locking wire wheels ($541-$595)
- Locking wire wheel covers ($179-$233)
May 12/00; March 8/03
Fully Featured Website Hosting!!!